Dressmaking, Handmade Wardrobe, Sew My Style, Sewing

The Ogden Cami 3 Ways

The True Bias Ogden Cami has soon become my tried and tested pattern, it is very similiar to some Topshop cami’s I have been wearing on rotation for about 5 years, the pattern is truly worth the hype and I’ll continue to keep making them. So here’s the Ogden Cami three ways.

It’s a very satisfying quick sew and and came together in an evening. The construction was simple and I chose to french seam both the top and the facing for a neat finish. Turning the straps through feels like a true Houdini moment, if you get stuck there is a sew-a-long on the True Bias Blog if you get stuck. The pattern calls for Light weight woven fabrics such as crepe, rayon challis, voile, and lightweight linen. I made a toille from a cotton bed sheet which has a too much structure for the pattern, but I was just using it for the fit it did the job. The toille came up a bit snug and the the facing was too short, (which I have now refashioned as pyjmas.)


I made the adjustments and made it up again in this colbalt viscose, left over from sewing my Eve Dress . I love it, I know I’ll get plenty of wear out of it in warmer weather with jeans or some Carrie Trousers.

My friend lis came across some fabric she’d had in her cupboard for 10 years when she was moving house and asked me if I could turn it into a pair of trousers for her, there wasn’t quite enough fabric for a pair of trousers, as it was very narrow, so I suggested an ogden cami instead, which I thought would be ideal for her up and coming holiday.


It was my first time working with such a busy print and it was directional so I had to carefully consider how I cut it out, initially I had wanted to incoperate both patterns on the front and back of the cami, but in order to do that,  I would have had to the dragons..birds…eagles…not entirley sure what they were upside down. So the perfectionist in me, decided to leave the birds soaring towards the sky and used the other pattern on the fabric for the inside instead.


It was the first time I was sewing something that wasn’t for me, so I spent some extra time pressing the seams and making sure the hem was straight. I was happy with the result and I really like the added detail of a different fabric for the facing, for me it’s these toughtful, often subtle details that make the difference between custom made v’s ready to wear.

I’ll definatley be making more of these cami’s and I know they will become a staple in my wardrobe. When it comes to summer I’d like to lengthen the top into a dress version similiar to this version by bombazine having lived through the 90’s not sure I’m ready to pair it up with a white t-shirt or polo neck underneath, but will be a staple on hopefully hot summer days.

All for now.